2017, what oh what will you be? Will you be scary? Will you be kind? Will you please be pleasantly fine?
I hope I’m wrong and I hope that 2017 will turn out to be a fantastic year for all…but as I sit here on this last eve of 2016, I feel a need to approach the new year with caution. And I say this even as I feel relieved to see the end of 2016.
That said, despite the shit-storm of political obscenities and loss of talented souls that comprised 2016, some good things did happen. Many, I’m sure. But here are a few that I can look back on and smile:
- I am still alive and if you’re reading this, then I’m assuming you are too. Congrats.
- I was able to teach a university level course for the first time and I loved it.
- I completed my thesis for my MFA; all 300+ pages of it and it was generally well received and, more importantly, approved by my advisors.
- Directly related to #3, I have completed my MFA and with a 4.0 GPA. I’m proud of that.
- I did all of this and managed to support three other humans.
- I am employed, have insurance and I’m grateful to have food on my table and a roof over my head.
- My mother is no longer in pain and while it might seem strange to be grateful for her passing, indeed I am. I would not wish misery on anyone and I am so very glad hers has ended.
There are certainly many many more things I could list, but I will leave it at 7 – lucky 7.
My wish for us all is that 2017 will be filled with a surprising abundance of goodness. I wish the best for you and yours, near and far. May we live to see better things and happier days…and 2018. Buckle up, here we come.